Tuesday, March 29, 2005

One more treasure from my collection

The great urban philosopher Rakim once said "It aint where you're from its you're at." But today, I'm happy to know where I come from. I happened across the program from the Jeffers Ford Sills Reed family reunion held in Gary, Indiana August 1980. I of course did not attend, since I was 4. The program is dedicated to my Great Great Great Great Great Grandmother:
In memory of Sarah Jeffers, who was sold and bought on the slave block in St. Louis Missouri. Sarah weighing 300 pounds and carrying twin boys under her arms, was taken to Holly Springs, Mississippi, where she died in 1893.

I remember reading this as a child and trying to picture this woman. I've seen roots enough times that I can fill in some more of the details if I close my eyes and imagine her now. Since this week I'm thinking a lot about things I'll miss, and people I need to make proud, I'll add Sarah Jeffers to my list.

No comments: