Wednesday, March 09, 2005

The TSA's beef with me

I arrived at "home" safely today after only some minor difficulty. Let me begin by saying this is not a rant against the people working for the TSA (Transportation Safety Administration) or the organization itself, its more a rant about my bad luck, particularly when flying out of Oakland. 3 times I have flown out of Oakland, 3 times I've been selected for extra special pat down. To their credit I'm a single male under 30 of ambiguous ethnicicity flying one way coast to coast. So perhaps I deserve a little extra scrutiny, but today I made some people really really really nervous. Since I'm transporting a lot of stuff west, I didn't bring much home with me. I packed the few items I had in my small suitcase and nested it inside its larger sibling. I brought back shorts and flipflops and tshirts only and enough clothes to dress up one time if necessary. The mistake I made was bringing back several tools (cordless drill, pliers, wire cutters, channel locks, vise grips) well, I found out tools make tsa agents nervous. To make things worse buried deep inside the inner suitcase, wrapped in a sweater, inside my green MBA bag was my playstaion 2. Of course the airline wendy works for (which I will not mention out loud, lest she end up like this) offers no protection at all for any electronic devices you put in your checked bag. So if I'm going to check my precious sweet baby PS2, you better believe its going to be well protected.
Both of my flights (oak-den, den-tpa) were uneventful, I didn't even have to sweat getting a seat for a change. They did give me middle seats on both flights. No one is less popular that the last person on the plane who takes away that middle seat you were planning on making your own personal space. So now i'm home and I'm faced with the daunting task of deciding what I want and what I don't and what's worth carrying all the way across the country. Its not going to be a fun couple of weeks.

No comments: