Monday, April 25, 2005

Stupid DVR!

I'm finally getting some time to blog today because W is recording 2 shows I can't stand. When you record 2 things at once, you're forced to watch one of them. Today's TV abomination I'm forced in to watching. "I married a princess". Its on Lifetime, I think that's all I need to say about it.
Well, lets get to the important stuff first. I knew today was going to be a long day when the application packet never arrived in the mail on Saturday as planned. That meant I had no Idea with whom I was meeting today, I had only been given a person's name and number to call if something went wrong. Not knowing where to go seemed like a good enough excuse to call, so I dialed it for the first time at 8:30 this morning. I got a busy signal. I dialed it at least 10 times before considering other options. A faint voice in my head told me maybe the last digit of the number was 6 and not 0, and the faint voice was right. That bought me the correct persons voicemail. She returned my call after 20 anxious minutes and instructed me how to get from where I was to the meeting place. I had to fill out a huge application that should have taken up a good portion of my weekend, but instead had to be done in the hours before my interview. Next I briefly met with my liaison who reviewed the information for clarity and accuracy, and who briefly prepped me for the interview. Thanks to my coaching session on Friday I was far more prepared for my interview today than I would have been otherwise. Some of the behavioral questions were actually quite difficult and included many details that had to be written down and addressed. It was not fun, but I think I performed admirably, considering how flustered I'd been all morning. While waiting in the lobby Fed ex called me to ask me what my address was, they'd attempted delivery on Saturday, but the only note said wrong address. There was nothing wrong with the address they had, and I'm not sure why they chose not to call on Saturday if there was a question. I am told I was the first candidate brought in, and it could take up to 2 weeks to make a decision. *Sigh*
We finally broke down and snuck out for dinner on Saturday, at our favorite sushi place, Sushi Avenue. Our sushi was delicious, and they even gave us some deep fried albacore on the house. It would have been delicious for $20, so you can imagine how sweet it tasted at that price. It was definitely time to celebrate since I'd scored an interview and a part time job in a 3 day span.
Sunday we visited Aunt Rosita to play with her new Bengal kitty Prasha, I found out I miss the rumblenator a whole lot more than I've been letting on. If you didn't know any better you'd swear this thing was a mini-leopard. It is the cutest thing you ever saw. At the store the night before we decided it would be nice if we brought him a present, so I picked out a furry octopus on an elastic string that you could hang over a door. Prasha tugged on this thing until he was plum tuckered out, took a nap while we were there, and we are told as soon as he woke up he went right back at it.
We had to run around a little bit after that, because I wanted some quick reading material to refresh my memory about some accounting things. (I learned my lesson from being dumbfounded by simple accounting questions at my Virgin interview and decided I should refresh my memory a little bit.) Of course I didn't field a single accounting question all day today. While we were out we spent a disproportionate amount of time an a Bed Bath and Beyond looking at stuff we might someday buy if I ever start earning a paycheck. We wanted to get one more meal out while we had a chance, so we went to an On the border. Neither of us had ever been to one before, but we will be back.
2 more thoughts for today in this rather long winded post. 1. Tomorrow is calvin's last day here, the wicked witch of the north is returning to pick him up. I sure will miss his company during the day. 2. My stuff arrived for the part time job today, its going to be a ton of reading and studying, here's rooting for multiple choice on the test.

No comments: