Friday, April 15, 2005

My timing stinks

Yesterday I decided to take another Bart adventure, which unfortunately meant I had to walk out the door with W at 6:00 a.m. Commuter traffic at that hour is pretty light, and we got to use the carpool lane so we had time to stop at McDonald's for a little breakfast. I grabbed a train from the airport to the civic center station in San Francisco. I was finally dropping off the application for the job with the city, so I had to find my way to either city hall or human resources, I wasn't sure which. I tried human resources first, which required about a half mile stroll down market street, only to find out that wasn't right. A nice lady pointed me towards city hall, which of course was a stonesthrow away from the station I arrived at. After determining which of the massive downtown buildings was city hall I walked inside its palatial halls. I found my destination fairly easily and the person to whom I handed my application seemed genuinely impressed that I managed to properly assemble all of the application parts. I rushed back down to the train and it was off to Oakland. I'd set myself a 10:00 appointment with Appleone, a staffing firm that I'd accidentally bumped into in pleasanton 2 days before. The Oakland office was almost right on top of the Bart station, so I chose to go to it instead of wandering around pleasanton again. I arrived there about a half hour early which was good, since I had forgotten to write down the address and started walking the wrong direction. Unfortunately they suddenly had more applicants than jobs at the moment, but the recruiter I talked to says they cycle back and forth regularly. We went through the standard interview process, and they gave me 4 tests: advanced excel, basic access, word and powerpoint. If I only learned 4 things in grad school it was how to use those 4 pieces of software. So I at least came off looking pretty smart, if not a little bit hireable for something. American Express financial just called offering me a sales job, I'm one more week away from taking one, just to earn some cash.
Laugh for the day: Blogger spellcheck doesn't like the word "hireable" its recommended replacement: horrible

No comments: