Thursday, April 21, 2005

Congratulate me, I have half a job!

Yesterday while quietly sending out more resumes the phone rang. I haven't taught W the rule about not taking phone calls from numbers we don't recognize, it could lead to a phone interview. Unfortunately this was one of those calls. This was a job I had applied for right before leaving Florida and they had emailed me while I was on the flight here. After researching the company a little I saw that it was part time and it looked like it would require me to sell the tests to fitness centers. So I decided not to pursue it further. So needless to say I was grossly unprepared for a phone interview yesterday when they called. It started with the usual interview fare, why are you interested, why should we hire you and then started to move to some stuff about why is america so fat. Things were going well until it was test time. Questions included What does ATP stand for?, what are 3 symptoms of a muscle strain?, what are the muscles of the rotator cuff? Name 5 glands of the endocrine system. Where is insulin produced? Some of the questions were pretty easy, and some of them reflect the fact that I haven't studied exercise phys in a solid 5 years. Not to mention I've poured a whole bunch of other knowledge and several beers into my brain since then. I didn't feel great about it when I got done, and I tried not to sweat it too much, but I did find it distracting that so much information had seeped through the cracks of my brain. So the phone rings early this morning while I'm getting ready to drop W off. (she carpooled in to work with a friend and left me the car) And the guy says we're ready to hire you, I'll email you a contract! There is of course a catch. I have to first pass the very exam that I intend to proctor. They're nice enough not to charge me to take the test, but I have to put up the cash for the study materials. Its written into my employment contracth that I immediately get reimbursed. Its a great plan, but I can't stop the little voice in the back of my head that says what if they make the test unpassable and just collect your money that you paid for materials? I am trying to stay positive about it.
So I'm at least kind of celebrating the fact that someone thinks I'm worthy of writing a paycheck to.

I'm still on the hunt though, Today I drove the car to the Bart station and caught a train out to Fremont. The city had a great job that I was almost qualified for, I figured it was worth the effort to drop off a resume on the odd chance they're short on applicants. I wandered around the Bayfair Mall to see who was hiring there, just in case and because I wanted to scope out the 24 hour fitness there. Calvin was glad to see me come back, and he and I went over to the dog park. Yup, just us boys out on the town.

No comments: