Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Warning! Gratuitous reminiscing ahead!


Wendy doesn't ever let me stop working, but at least we're safety conscious.

While painting today, I was reminded of how much like my grandfather I really am. I'm a ridiculous perfectionist about home improvement projects and insist on working until finished. I thought about the first time I ever opened a can of paint today. As I fumbled with a screwdriver my grandfather looked on while I struggled, refusing to help. I remember my grandmother saying George help him open it. My grandfather's response: "If it was candy, he'd already have it open." Well, there certainly is something to be said for experiential learning. If not for learning by trying I wouldn't know how to fix anything. Later in life I took pride in letting my grandfather "supervise" repairs around his house, I didn't need the help, but he always appreciated my efforts to be inclusive. I hope someday when I'm very old someone treats me so well. Posted by Hello

No comments: