Tuesday, May 03, 2005

(Fondly?) Remembering my athletic glory days

Today I went for the first run I've been on since approximately may of 1998. Worrying about not having a job and not doing much during the day have been causing me to not sleep very well lately, so I thought I'd throw my sleep system a curveball and get some aerobic exercise. A run gave me a good solid 20 minutes to think about the last time I actually went running. I was 20 years old, 3 years into a college education and assumed that knew just about everything there was to know in life. I made repeated attempts to prove that I was smarter than my track coach, and he proved me wrong by asking me not to return to the team the next fall.
At the time I could run a 15:02 5k, a 4:08 1500m, a 1:58 800m and a :56 400m. Nothing Olympic caliber or even scholarship worthy but it kept me off the streets while I was in school. I have finally reached that point in my life where fitness actually takes work, and getting out for a run is simple and efficient. So I had to get over my grudge against Coach A and just get out and do something. I know he has long since moved on from Auburn, so I should have long since moved on from my anti-running anger.

No comments: