Monday, June 27, 2005

Bay area cultural experience #372

Saturday after working a 5 hour shift at the BRO, I got a nice afternoon to snooze in the chair. W called and said we were invited to a friends retirement party, I need to jump on the train to meet her at the airport. I needed to catch a train long after the bus stops running, so I took my first bike ride to the Bart station. It went pretty well, the air is still cool enough that a bike ride is not a terribly sweat inducing activity. (In FL, breathing this time of year outdoors is a sweat inducing activity) I arrived at the airport just as W was getting out of work, and we took off and went to scott's house. He has a cool make-shift wine cellar in his basement,the concept of which I'm still trying to get used to. (Never having owned a basement before) Scott took us into the city where we went to a cool place called Cafe do Brasil. I can honestly say I'd never had Brazilian food before, but I definitely enjoyed. I also had my first caipirinha, a drink I would definitely have again someday. But even better than the food and drink was the authentic Brazilian music, which is mostly percussive and voice, with very catchy rhythms. Add Brazil to my list of places to visit someday. Sunday was another day another dollar, working the morning shift at the BRO. I put in 8 hours, and W picked me up so she could do a little shopping. I visited a Panda Express for the first time and although the food lacked the spiciness or depth of flavor I would have liked in traditional Chinese food, they really did a good job keeping the veggies at an acceptable crispness level. I have been craving some sweet and sour pork for a while now. ( I ate it almost every Friday at Auburn) Speaking of Auburn I heard from my old room mate Dale yesterday. He and the wife are headed to Vegas next week. If he had warned me I would have tried to make it there, but I'm still shooting to make it out is direction for the Auburn vs. Georgia Tech game. I was only supposed to have Monday and Wednesday nights off this week, but since I negotiated for Friday night off, I actually expect to be fairly rested throughout the week. I may not know what to do with all that free time.

No comments: