Wednesday, June 08, 2005

This is what I've been waiting a year for?

Tuesday was supposed to be my first of three whole days off, but that changed real fast. On monday my rep from the newest temp agency called and asked if I could come in Wednesday. Wanting to triple my salary sooner rather than later, I of course said yes I could. Unfortunately W and I had planned to make a day of it, since we didn't know when our next day off together would be, so we had to scrap that plan. Tuesday morning at 8:45 the phone rings, and its the BRO asking if I can come in at 10:00 I said yes, wanting to acquire the cash while I had the day off. My day was highlighted by someone filling out a survey card saying that "Jason is handsome, courteous and efficient" You should have seen the cheezy grin on my face the rest of the day. I worked my first 8 hour shift there and was exhausted but still found myself awake at 2:00 a.m. For most of the past 6 months that would have been no big deal. But today was my first day at the MOHP. I felt like I was dragging about for the better part of the afternoon, and will have to work hard to continue to impress there. Most of the people that I talk to think that the person with whom I interviewed typically under-estimates the amount of time temps will be needed, so I should expect a pretty lengthy stay as long as I'm happy and cooperative. (or as I have been described, handsome, courteus and efficient) I'm learning the job from a guy who's going on vacation next week, so I have to have it down by the end of the week before he leaves. He's another new MBA looking to get started, and the next supervisor up from him is another MBA. So there are a lot of us running around there, and at least I'll get an MBA sympathy vote if I ever am fighting for my continued work there.
So I'm really really tired now, since I've now been working for 7 days straight. I'm not due for a day off any time soon, so I have to throw myself into better sleeping habits soon or face consequences I'm not willing to put in print here. I woke up to a dark and stormy morning today, which combined with some mechanical trouble down the track left the trains running late and absolutely jammed. My building is right above the BART station which means that I didn't even have to go out in the rain to get from the Train to the office, not too shabby. W was gracious enough to give me a ride to Bart at 7:00 a.m. despite the fact that she had the day off.
I get one more evening off, and then friday comes the big 14 hour day. Wish me luck!

No comments: