Monday, June 13, 2005

only 6 hours of work? what gives?

Today I'm enjoying a rare relaxing evening. Yes, I did walk out the door at 6:00 a.m., but I get the rest of the evening to spend curled up in the living room with my old slacking partner Calvin the dog. He's in town until tomorrow. Things are starting to look up at the MOHP. I came in trying so hard to impress that I kind of wound myself up too tightly. But just in the nick of time, with the other temp who trained me out of town, I figured out how to produce a report that had baffled me for three days. The process involves SAP, Access, and Excel, and takes about 2 hours for someone who knows what they're doing, so i ended up spending most of the today and a good portion of friday afternoon on it. Now that I've got it down, i get to do it all over again tomorrow. My immediate supervisor seems to think pretty highly of me and has already admitted that she hopes I stick around since my personality seems like a good fit. Apparently regular turnover in the 2 temp positions is to be expected, but she's rooting for me to stick around a bit. That of course sounds like a great plan to me. So now I can add to my resume production of daily reports using the above mentioned programs, which makes it sparkle just a little bit more. I really like the feel of working there, I take the train into the heart of a big city from the suburbs, work in a tall building (24 stories) and return to a tail wagging dog who just wants me to pay attention to him. I'd say I have it pretty good right now. Things are still good at the BRO too, except that the last bus from there leaves at 7, which leaves me to either take the 3 mile walk from bart, or to wait until W makes her way back across the bay which usually doesn't happen until an hour after I'm done working. But if I continue to have this many jobs I won't be that far away from some meager transportation of my own. Now back to resting.

No comments: