Saturday, June 04, 2005

This really is a nightmare

Yesterday I was scheduled to only spend 4 hours at the BRO, but I am apparently doing a good enough job that I got asked to stay an extra three and change. I got home exhausted but spent a big portion of the night dreaming about sending people through my checkout lane. It was not a good nights sleep. I think its time for my first ever blog rant:
/begin rant
  1. If you shop at my store and you come in my lane, take the stuff out of your cart and put it on the belt, that's what its there for. I don't have time for you to take things out of your cart one at a time while you watch your total climb steadily.
  2. If you are paying with credit or debit, the card reader is sitting right there. Don't wait until you see the total before beginning to dig for your wallet.
  3. If you just had your check cashed and have an enormous wad of bills, start unraveling them before I'm finished with your items. No one else wants to watch you spread your money out all over the counter.
  4. I know, you don't want to carry around your change. Well, do us all a favor and don't stand here for ten minutes trying to count out 97 cents. We all have better things to do.
  5. There are scanners every 15 feet in the store if you can't figure out how much something costs, take it to one of them, don't waste my time with it.
  6. Be decisive. If you think you don't want something put it back where it came from don't bring it to me and admit that you're flaky.
  7. Why do I care about these things? From the moment I scan your first item I'm being timed. The computer knows the number of items and the relative difficulty of packaging them, and calculates when the transaction could be finished. It does not stop ticking until the transaction is completed. So if I bust my butt bagging your stuff but you spend 5 minutes fumbling with pennies or the credit card machine, guess who gets blamed. That's right, the cashier sitting on his MBA suddenly looks lazy and uninitiated.
/end rant

Thank you, now that I've gotten that out of my system I feel much better. On a much more positive note, my real job at the MOHP should start on Thursday. I can't wait to have a nice relaxing sit down at a computer job. Yes I know, I will probably eat those words some day, but what fun is life if you don't poke fate with a pointy stick every now and then.

No comments: