Saturday, June 25, 2005

one more post, since I do pretend to have a life outside of work

Today the nice folks at the BRO managed to schedule me from only 8 to 12:15, so i get a whole afternoon to nap and catch up on things. When they realized their error they asked if I could stay late. I gave them until 1, but am taking the rest of the afternoon for myself. Last week W and I managed to have a Saturday evening off at the same time so we actually went on a date. I drove and opened doors as is customary, and even paid thanks to my newfound personal wealth. It turns out that if you spend 2 weeks doing nothing but working and sleeping you get some cash to jingle around in your pockets. So we went out to our favorite sushi place and just enjoyed some unrushed quality time together. I have been at the MOHP for 3 weeks now and still hadn't gotten my pre-employment drug screening taken care of, so we decided we were going to make it happen last week. (The MOHP requires it, but decided I could start working before I took it and could stay as long as i passed) I had been to one place that advertised it did the tests on saturday last week, only to find it closed. I was starting to panic about getting fired for attempting to duck the test. So wednesday W and I ended up having to go all the way to mountain view to get it done. I am relieved that I won't get canned for that, and the way things are going they might keep me on board up to 9 months at this point. I'm phasing myself out a little at the BRO so that I actually get some sleep at night. I am getting a really quality experience at the MOHP, so i'd like to hold on to it as long as possible. There are a lot of things I love about it too. Its in a great spot in downtown oakland, Its close to great food in Chinatown, There is a Farmers market every Friday only 2 blocks away. My commute is great: I can walk out of the house and be sitting at my desk an hour later. Friday was the fillipino-american festival right where I usually eat lunch, so I watched that for a few minutes, which reminds me that my 4 favorite fillipine-americans are coming to town next week. My friend Luerne (and family) are dropping into SF this weekend and I've already scored a little time off to play. A big congratulations goes out to My cousin Scott and his wife Heather, who this week proudly announced the birth of Ryan Scott Butler. They have officially broken the seal on children for this generation of my mom's family. At this point I'm the 3rd oldest, and therefore "next in line" for marriage, and 2nd in line for kids. Nothing like a little pressure. I had a brainstorm about a better way to blog today, take a look on monday and I'll take a poll to see if its actually worth doing.

No comments: