Friday, January 26, 2007

Bangkok Day 4


On Tuesday we weren't quite sure what to do with ourselves. We grabbed a leisurely American breakfast at the hotel. We decided we'd try to go the the Thai museum in the morning, but got there only to discover that it was closed on Monday and Tuesday. Someone outside the museum recommended we go see the Standing Buddha, the sitting Buddha and the golden mount. All three I'd read about, so they seemed like a good substitute. The man alleged the standing Buddha was 40 meters away, but it was a lot more like a mile, I'm glad we had decided to tuk tuk it over there. After that we went to the golden mount, which required a lot of stair climbing, but the payoff was great views of the city. We went back to the mall area to do a little more shopping and to squeeze in a final fitting. We had dinner at a restaurant called cabbages and condoms. All proceeds from the restaurant go to promoting A.I.D.S awareness in Thailand. So we did something good for the community and ate an absolutely delicious meal. We noticed that they had a lounge with free Internet, so we thought we'd go check on the flight. Our six a.m. flight was cancelled. Not good, I needed to be in the office on Wednesday. We looked at buying me a ticket, but $600 or more seemed like a bit much just to get back to Tokyo. We decided not to sleep so we could crash the airport the minute it opened, and try to get on a few other airlines we knew had seats. After much nervous waiting we got on a Thai airlines flight in the farthest back seat you can get. Their seat spacing is awesome and their food in coach is actually edible. We got to Tokyo and W had to take our bags through customs, so I ran ahead to try to catch the first flight back to SFO, it was going to be close on getting first or business, but when an eplus seat came up I had to take it to get home. I slept for the majority of time on both flights.
My final impressions of Bangkok:
  • A lot of stray dogs and cats
  • Horribly bad air
  • Incredibly congested roads
  • Possibly the worlds greatest cuisine
  • Truly impressive historical buildings
  • Incredibly nice and friendly people
  • Did I mention how good the food is?
  • When can I go back? Theres still plenty of Thailand I haven't seen!

No comments: