Sunday, August 07, 2005

Sure, like most of my weeks aren't crazy

This really was a strange week. I was the most rested I'd been in two months, so on occasion at the BRO I was really nice to people. I didn't even look like a walking zombie. I had strangely been scheduled not to go in until 6, which meant I could even go home and squeeze in a nap on occasion. Job prospects all continue to improve. A higher up at The BRO called me in to his office to make sure I was still interested in moving up there, because 2 positions would be opening up in the very near future. I said it might come down to who made a bigger move first. My supervisor at the MOHP also said this week that one of the other higher ups decided he'd really like me to get hired, and If I could master one particular task it would be very easy for the 2 of them to convince the director I was needed on a full time basis. To make matters even more interesting I fielded two job offers while standing at my register this week, one from a financial services recruiter wanting me to sell life insurance and mutual funds for him. (yeah, we know where that one leads; No thank you) The other came from a guy in human resources at a hardware store.
Here's how our conversation went:
Him: Are you new here?
Me: Me, I've been here about 2 months
Him: O.K.
Me: Why, are you a regular here who notices these kinds of things.
Him: No, I just am the kind of person who notices when people are doing a really good job
Me: (Flattered, Grinning and maybe blushing a little) Well, thank you very much.
Him: So are you a student or something?
Me: No, I have a real job during the day and just work evenings and weekends here for some extra money
Him: Well alright, Keep up the good work
Me: Thank you, Your total is...
Flash forward past his payment and he's frantically digging through his wallet. I move on to the next customer. He eventually moves to the empty register next to mine while continuing to search. Finally he walks back over leaves a card on my register and says "if you want to make more money part time give me a call".
So suddenly a guy who went a whole year without a real job offer is about to have to make some very difficult choices.
Choice 1, Accept potential offer from Transportation department at MOHP
Choice 2, Apply for really great Finance position at MOHP that has been open and staring at me for a while
Choice 3, Accept potential middle management job at BRO and have to leave MOHP
Choice 4, Assume that I won't stay at BRO for much longer leave for more cash at the new offer
Assumptions
1. Job in transportation Department at MOHP will pay more than my temp position there, but not as much as the job in finance
2. A single rung up the ladder at the BRO will still have me earning much less than I currently make at the MOHP, but would offer stability and certainty about the future.
3. The newest part time offer would yield me a bigger discount, in a Hardware store!!!!!! That might be worth the price of admission on its own.

Plus there is the final question of will I be happier as a guy who sits at a desk all day staring at a computer doing spreadsheets but has a nice set schedule or as someone who is up and moving around all day interacting with people but has to work holidays, weekends and nights.
Alas, nothing is ever simple

No comments: