Saturday, January 26, 2008

All dressed up with no place to go

Fortunately for us the whole city of Brussels gets off to a slow start on weekends, so when I got up around nine, there was still not a lot of places open. Even the sun gets off to a slower start here, with sunrise not until after 7:30 a.m. I scored us a few croissants in the metro station, and then did some reading while W slept some more, trying to rest off whatever she was fighting. We grabbed a delicious light lunch at the food court in the shopping center next to us at a little place called le pretexte. We had a really tasty prosciutto and mozzarella sandwich and then went off to try to find the grand place. It was raining and windy and crappy and we didn't know exactly which way to walk, so I ended up just dropping W back off at the hotel. After a snack I went out and wandered around, just getting know where things were and riding the metro a bit more so I'd know my way around. I found the botanical garden, a few interesting churches, and then by accident wandered right into the grand place. I turned a corner and bumped into Belgium's most famous landmark, and he was even all dressed up for the occasion. When I'd gotten wet and cold and tired enough I went back and dragged W out for dinner, this time choosing La Vigne, on the same little street we'd eaten on the night before. We ate in authentic Brussels style starting with an apertif, a starter of cheese croquets, and I had sole fillets with mussels, and W had a very tasty cordon bleu. I had a fabulous mousse au chocolate for dessert that seemed absolutely sinful. Early to bed again, for one more big day.

No comments: