Monday, February 21, 2011

A Cautionary Tale About Falling In Love With a Phone


On Friday, just when I was starting to lose all hope for humanity I found out about Tide for Toomer’s a site dedicated to rational thought and mutual disgust for the act that has the Toomer’s Oaks clinging to life.  Then I went to lunch, and accidentally left my phone sitting on my desk once again shattering my faith in society. Sometime during lunch I thought about my phone, and decided it would probably be fine sitting there, no big deal.  The trouble is it wasn’t there when I got back.  I figured I probably just left it someplace I’d been that morning, so I checked the only three places I’d been; the cafeteria, the bathroom, and a co workers office.  I then went to the mobile.me website to see where my phone was, good news, it was still on campus at work, and perhaps I’d left it someplace and someone picked it up.  Unfortunately it then sped up and got on the freeway.  I called my company’s security team and reported it stolen, and they seemed mostly uninterested; recommending I file a police report.  While waiting for the officer to arrive I took one more look at where the phone was.  It had stopped at a house. I snapped a screenshot and hoped for the best from the police.    It doesn’t appear that they’ll be much either, as a phone gps location is a long way from a search warrant, so I basically have nothing except the approximate location of where my phone last pinged the network Friday afternoon.  It wouldn’t be so bad if the cost of replacement were lower.  But 6 months ago when I got the phone I signed a new contract. I can pay early to “upgrade” (getting back the same phone) but it means renewing a contract with a phone company I hate, and basically locking my self out of the next upgrade when my phone undoubtedly goes through its next iteration this year. Or I can pay the no contract price, which approaches what I paid for a BCS Championship game ticket. So for now, I have no phone at all. Not cool random co-worker. Not cool at all.  Quoth the Great Philosopher Ceelo Green “I see you driving ‘round town with the phone I love and I’m like F**** you  ooo ooo ooo oooo.  I guess the phone in your pocket wasn’t enough”.  Aint that some Shhhh indeed!  Speaking of Ceelo Green; I was a fan way back in 1995 when I first heard the Goodie Mob’s Cell Therapy( I still have that CD somewhere I think).  The Hip hop station near Auburn played it all the time. If you had told me then that 15 years later one of those guys would be at the Grammys wearing a peacock suit singing a song with Gwyneth Paltrow and some muppets, I would have been very interested in what substance you’d gotten your hands on.  (Well, maybe I’d have started with who in the hell is Gwyneth Paltrow?) Back to the phone for a moment, How much cash would you leave on your desk at work?  Lesson Learned.

No comments: