Sunday, July 05, 2009

Big fat Punjabi wedding day 2


First a note of clarification, while this was my second day of involvement in the wedding, it had been going on for several days before I got invited to play along, but I got to see some of the most important stuff. For day two for me we were attending the reception at the San Francisco design center. We arrived at 6:30, the designated start time to be wowed by the size and setup of the venue. We could choose any table among the second, third or fourth floor, and chose something right in front of the stage on the third floor. We were eventually joined by a nice couple who travel a lot because they are self described "UNESCO Junkies", and a few more of W's co workers. UNESCO tourism does give me some ideas about trip itinerary planning for the future, but that will come later. What would have been sufficient food for dinner turned to be just the appetizer, and dinner was finally open for business sometime after 9:00 p.m. There was traditional dancing, and a DJ spinning a mix of Hip hop, a tribute to Michael Jackson, and traditional Punjabi music. The music was loud, and the dance floor was rocking with people fueled up on delicious Indian cuisine, and free flowing alcohol. In addition to the robust sound system, up to three drummers were adding to the beat. I might not ever get the sounds of those drums out of my head, but they made it impossible to sit still in your chair. As with almost anything in life, if one person is doing something, there are surely hundreds of others out there on the internet uploading videos of themselves doing the same thing. A quick google search finds me this video of someone playing a Bhangra Dhol over a hip hop hit, turning a song I don't like very much into something I can't stop listening to. We didn't leave until after midnight, and could have stayed much longer had both W and I not had to work on Sunday. The food was awesome, the dancing was fun to watch, and even more fun to participate in, and I recommend you go out and find yourself some cardamom flavored ice cream, it is delicious. Just in case your curious I've only been to 11 of the 145 UNESCO sites, I guess that means I've got some work to do.

No comments: